What is a "Paddock Paradise"?
Paddock Paradise, developed by Jamie Jackson, is a natural horse keeping system of management, that respects the true nature of the domestic horse. The equine sprit is one that is highly social, craves freedom, enjoys an intimate connection to the earth, desires constant motion, possesses profound emotional richness and complexity, and is able to adapt to each season with perfect precision and fluidity.
Our Paddock Paradise system at Hoofbeats Holistic, honors each of these aspects by providing for their fulfillment in the following ways:
- Full turnout 24 hours a day, every day, with no stall confinement
- In their bare feet in a hoof conditioning environment
- In a herd of their peers
- With a diet of free choice organic mixed grass hay available 24/7/365
- Receiving any other feedings at ground level
- Having access to minerals and salt
- In living conditions that allow year-round exposure to the elements, with free access to shelter
- Wearing only horse-made clothing in every season (no blankets, sheets, coolers, etc.)
- In a chemical and pesticide-free environment
- With limited and informed use of pharmaceutical vaccines, antibiotics, and synthetic drugs
My horse is on Pasture, Is that Natural Horse keeping?
No, though it is far superior to stall confinement.
Natural Horse Keeping is MUCH more than simple turnout in a pasture.
I'm sure you have seen pastured horses that, having acres of land to roam on, instead stand in the corner where they are most often fed. In order to accomplish the above principles of a Natural Horse Keeping environment, a variety of systems must be in place and tended to daily.